.

Friday, August 23, 2019

Womens Roles Then and Now Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1000 words - 2

Womens Roles Then and Now - Essay Example Later we returned to the US in 1788 where John Adams served as vice president and later as a president. Many people know me as a friendly and pleasant individual according to Gelles (1995). I always showed commitment to politics and federalism through the support I gave to my husband. A woman I would express my opinions both in private and public without any fear as I was a keen political observer, creative writer, and prominent first lady. Jane, can you tell us about your self as a woman of the 19th century? Jane Addams: I grew up in Cedarville, Illinois as a daughter of a wealthy man and a gracious and kind mother. I wished to pursue medicine but this brought a lot of controversy in MY family because they became worried that I might not get married. As a result, I was taken to Europe for two years so that I could not pressure my parents to allow me to get the degree. However this did not give me a fall down, I foresaw WWI IN 1915 in my attempts to prevent war by organizing the Women’s Peace Party and the International Congress of Women.  In 1917 I was elected president of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom. I am also a founding member of the American Civil Liberties Union and a charter member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored people according to Berson (2004). I was the founder of the Settlement House Movement. During the reign of President Franklin Roosevelt, I saw most of the issues I had advocated for being made policies. As a result, I received numerous awards including the Nobel Peace Prize in 1931. Jane Addams: Women of the 19th century experienced a lot and their choices in life were limited. For instance, women of the 19th century had no choice on career and most of them lived almost like slaves. Women were so depended on men because all the resources belonged to men. An unmarried woman was highly disrespected and attracted social condemnation and pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment